- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 stalks lemongrass (white part only), finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1.5kg piece pork belly (see note)
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 long red chillies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Steamed white long-grain rice, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine garlic, pepper, salt, lemongrass, lemon rind and juice in a bowl. Rub all over pork belly, except for the skin. Place pork, skin-side up, in a glass or ceramic dish. Cover. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced.
- Line a roasting pan with baking paper. Place pork, skin-side up, in prepared pan. Roast, brushing skin with oil every 15 minutes, for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place sugar and 1 cup of water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add chilli and vinegar. Simmer for a further 5 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- Increase oven temperature to 200C/180C fan-forced. Roast pork for a further 30 minutes, without brushing. Increase oven temperature to 240C/220C fan-forced. Roast for a further 10 to 15 minutes or until skin is crisp when tapped with a spoon. Stand for 10 minutes. Serve pork with rice, lemon wedges and chilli sauce.
© 2022 Copyright Find My Dinner